Friday, January 28, 2011

Crock Pot Chili Con Carne

I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites – allrecipes.com – and modified it a bit. This is one of those Sandra Lee style meals, you know…semi-homemade. Chili con carne is typically made with meat and peppers. This particular recipe has no tomatoes. NO TOMATOES? WHAT? My first thought was “how is it chili without tomatoes?”. But this recipe is tasty. There is more liquid than any chili I have ever made, but it was still pretty delish. And in my family, chili is served over rice with cheese on top. That is the only way, I’m telling ya. I used venison because it’s what I had and we like to cook with it, but I think you could substitute beef and it would be quite good.

What you need:
3 pieces bacon - cut up
2.5 lbs of venison - cubed
1 large onion - diced
2 cans kidney beans - drained (15 oz each)
2 cans beef broth (10.5 oz each)
1 can green chili peppers (4 oz)
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
1 ½ teaspoons paprika

What you do:
Over medium-low heat, cook the bacon. Once its almost done, add the meat, onions, and garlic and cook until meat is browned. Add browned meat to crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high 2 hours and then switch to low for the last 2 – or cook on medium for 4-5 hours. Serve over rice. Enjoy!


-hayden

No comments:

Post a Comment