Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cranapanana Bread



I am not a baker.  Not at all.  I've never been very good at it, and to complicate matters I now live at ~5,300' elevation.  But I had a bunch of super ripe bananas that I needed to use, so I baked up a storm last weekend (more recipes from banana baking storm to follow).  This bread was so fantastic that one of my dogs ate half of it fresh out of the oven (note:  I wanted to throttle said dog).  I combined a couple different recipes I found online to come up with what I decided to call Cranapanana Bread.  Note:  Step #5 is critical.

Ingredients:
3 large ripe bananas
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cup flour *
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 Granny Smith apples, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cinnamon Topping:
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp softened butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
In a bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, softened butter and cinnamon.

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Lightly grease a 9 x 5" inch loaf pan; set aside.
2) In a large bowl mash bananas.  Beat in sugars, followed by egg and butter.
3) In another bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to banana mixture and stir just until all flour is moistened.
4) Add cranberries, apples and nuts; stir just until well mixed.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Sprinkle cinnamon topping evenly over batter.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
5) To cool, place away from edge of counter where tall dogs can reach it.

* I always use a 50/50 mixture of unbleached flour and wheat flour.  Until I moved out west, I used all wheat flour by itself, but I quickly discovered that only made baking at elevation that much more of a challenge for me.

enjoy!
~ j


yummy muffins!
7/4/11 -- I baked some cranapanana muffins tonight, and they turned out great!  I baked them for 45 minutes.  But I did use 4 bananas (rather than 3) making them more moist, so I'm not sure how that might have affected the baking time.  Here's a pic...


enjoy!
 ~ j

4 comments:

  1. Thanks hard to say, but easy to eat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three things I love: bananas, bread and baking. I have to try this this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Let us know how it turns out, Grey!

    ReplyDelete