Monday, August 27, 2012

Awesome Egg Salad (with avocado!!)


Do you ever just really crave eggs?  More specifically, hard boiled eggs??  Even more specifically, egg salad???  Well, I do…and tonight I did.  I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on a big ol’ egg salad sandwich.  I thought about this sandwich for hours.  I decided to see what I could find on allrecipes to make my egg salad a bit snazzier.  I found several recipes that had some good add-ins to your standard egg salad, and picked the ingredients that sounded best to me.  This sandwich was fantastic, I highly recommend it on toasted wheat bread with some fresh baby spinach.  This recipe should make 3 or 4 sandwiches (maybe more, depending on how thick you put that egg salad on and how big your bread is).

I think a lot of foods are not very photogenic
(and also, I'm not a very good food photographer)
I have to be honest with you about this recipe, besides the 4 eggs and 1 avocado, I did not measure a single other ingredient.  So I really have no clue how much of what went into this.  I tried to do some guesstimating here based on other recipes and what I think I did.  Also, I didn’t mash in my avocado, I just stirred in the cubes (but mashing seems like a good idea).
Oh, and just in case you have a hard time getting your hard-boiled eggs just right, try our friend Erin’s instructions at Chopstitch.  This is how I make my eggs and they always turn out just right!

Ingredients
4 hard-boiled eggs
1 large avocado – peeled, pitted & cubed
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp finely diced onion
½ tsp paprika
1 ½ tsp horseradish (or more…or less…as hot as you like it)
salt & pepper to taste
baby spinach (optional)

Instructions
Everything is better with baby dills.
1)  Mash eggs in a mixing bowl with a fork.  Stir in all the rest of the ingredients with fork, and gently mash until blended.  Slap your egg salad on two slices of bread with spinach.


Enjoy!
 ~ j

1 comment:

  1. came to look for a cookie recipe and now i want egg salad. mmmmmmm. im gonna make this soon!

    ReplyDelete